Mandate: The OCNI Youth Shadow Council functions as a volunteer youth advisory group to OCNI staff and the OCNI Board of Directors. This council is modelled as an operational committee with a focus on promoting youth leadership development and engaging young Canadians on key issues in the nuclear energy sector.
The OCNI Youth Shadow Council (OYSC) is a youth leadership council for those who want to shape the future of the Canadian nuclear industry and help Canada achieve its “Net Zero by 2050” target.
The OYSC would function as a volunteer youth advisory group to OCNI staff and the OCNI Board of Directors. We aim to recruit a minimum of one representative from each province and across several post-secondary programs. The OYSC targets students and recent graduates between the ages of 18-30.
The goal of the Youth Shadow Council is to promote youth leadership development and engagement on key issues in the Canadian nuclear energy sector.
- Applicants should be current students or recent graduates of a recognized Canadian educational institution. Applicants may need to provide a letter confirming their academic status if selected for an interview.
- Students and recent graduates must be between the ages of 18-30.
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Individuals are encouraged to apply regardless of academic major, discipline, or field of specialization.
- Committed to employment equity, OYSC encourages applications from Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups, and women.
OYSC Application Details
- Applications are accepted until May 31, 2021
- Completed Online form: Contact information
- A curriculum vitae/resume (short bio, professional and education experience, community engagement, recognitions, etc.)
- Two Academic or Professional References will be required if selected for an interview
- An optional 30-second personal statement video addressing why you want to be a part of the OYSC and what you hope to achieve.
The OCNI Youth Shadow Council is also seeking nominations for an annual rotating Student Chair position. If you are interested in becoming the Chair of the OCNI Youth Shadow Council please indicate so in your application.
OYSC Application Process
Candidates are to submit an online application that requires a form submission and an updated CV by May 31, 2021.
The application process will be evaluated in three steps:
- The OCNI selection committee will evaluate the complete submitted applications based on the outlined selection criteria.
- The OCNI Board champion and two external shadow council representatives will blind evaluate the top identified video submissions and choose 20 candidates.
- Selected candidates will be contacted for a final interview with OCNI and council members will be confirmed. References may be requested at this time.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Record of leadership, achievement, and impact.
- Demonstrated teamwork ability and interest in working with others.
- A passion for the Canadian nuclear energy sector.
OYSC is committed to creating a council that reflects Canada’s diversity: geography, cultures, economic background, languages and gender; and a mix of academic and professional experiences.
OYSC is committed to respectfully using any information supplied by you and your references in support of your application for the Council.
There are two purposes for the information requested:
1) Demographic information is requested to ensure applicants represent Canada’s diversity and to ensure this opportunity reaches underrepresented communities. This information is only used by program facilitators.
2) Information supporting the application is only for the purposes of evaluating the application. Only OCNI Board Members and the selection committee will have access to your information.
None of the information you or your references provide is made available to third parties. Your email will be securely stored for communications regarding future applications or programming for OYSC. You can opt-out of these communications at any time.
If you have any questions about the use of your information, please contact us.